Monday, April 6, 2009

An Orchid for Dr. John Hope Franklin

"John Hope Franklin lived for nearly a century and helped define that century. A towering historian, he led the recognition that African-American history and American history are one."

- Richard H. Brodhead, President, Duke University

Picture credit: Duke University

In my twenties, I remember walking around Northern California's DeAnza College taking one general education course after another. I eventually landed in an African-American history course and was introduced to a great American historian. John Hope Franklin. I read his best seller, From Slavery to Freedom, and along with that class, this amazing historian and his outstandingly researched material changed the way I saw myself from that day forward.


Dr. John Hope Franklin recently passed on March 25, 2009 at 94 years of age. He loved orchids as much as he loved history...

You can learn more about John Hope Franklin and his work by visiting here.

Intimate autobiography of Dr. Franklin.

“John Hope Franklin was one of the most important American historians of the 20th century and one of the people I most admired. I was honored he agreed to be the head of the President's Initiative on Race. He led his committee all over America to listen to people of all races, faiths, cultures and classes. And he produced a remarkable report on the ways in which we remain divided along color lines and what we can do about it. During the process, we became friends and I learned a lot from him about history, politics and life. He graced our country with his life, his scholarship and his citizenship. Hillary and I will miss him very much. Our hearts and prayers go out to his family and friends."

- Bill Clinton, Former U.S. President

May we be inspired by such an extraordinary life.

Darlene

No comments: