Monday, March 30, 2009

Visiting Filoli

Fight for a just cause; Love your fellow man; Live a good life.

- William Bowers Bourn II


This past Friday, my daughter, my aunt Evie and I made a Spring-filled visit to the historical Filoli Gardens.  The enchanting Filoli features a 36,000 square-foot modified Georgian residence and a 16-acre English Renaissance style garden.


Built between 1915 and 1917 for Empire Mine owner William Bowers Bourn II and his wife Agnes Moody Bourn, this grand California estate is located in Woodside, California, just 30 miles south of San Francisco.

gorgeous white blooms.

My aunt had already held a membership, but this was a first for my daughter and I, so she encouraged us to bring our cameras...okay, I think I may have been a bit overstimulated by the beauty of the garden and the Georgian style architecture, which I absolutely love. My heart melts for proportion and balance. The tulips, camellias, and daffodils were in full bloom for Spring, for which we began shooting away.

happy tulips...peek-a-boo.

I dream of formal gardens with green boxwood and perfectly manicured lawns. This was it. The grounds are so impressive that many a movie has been filmed here...remember The Wedding Planner? Volunteers get to experience hands-on gardening, but there are a number of workshops being offered throughout the year. They operate from February through October and have the loveliest garden shop that carries sweet-smelling soaps, aromatic candles, dried floral arrangements, and so much more. There is an enjoyable selection of food at the Quail's Nest Cafe onsite. I had a turkey salad croissant sandwich that was wonderful.

Thyme and Illume candles, homegrown lavender and handmade wreaths are on display.

refreshing drinks and tasty bites.

What did I enjoy most? Perhaps the Woodland Garden with all of its white camellias. The contrast between these soft, white blossoms and green foliage was breathtaking...there's something especially sweet about white flowers. Inside the home, the diningroom was exquisite and the ballroom purely grand, but I'd say that the smaller and quaint oak-paneled study lingered with me long after we left. With its carved Carrara marble fireplace, I imagined the early occupants being cocooned on a cool Winter's day. Please do pay a visit when in the area. Visit filoli.org for further information, ie: info on memberships.

more shade-loving camellias.

a distinguished gentleman in the study.

Hours & Admission:

Tuesday-Saturday 10am-3:30pm
Sunday 11am-3:30pm

Adults $12
Students (bring I.D.) $5
Members & Children under 5 are free.

Over 500 roses will bloom this summer and the wisteria that decorates the mansion's exterior and grounds year after year was just budding, so there is much more to photograph! ;)

-Jessica

No comments: