Tuesday, April 14, 2009

real simple cleaning

One of my favorite go-to reference books for cleaning and organizing is Real Simple Solutions from the creative folks behind the wonderful magazine.  Always inspiring, here they continue to offer inventive new (and sometimes old) ways of refreshing your surroundings.



With the warmth of the season upon us, we are quickly compelled to "tidy up" and put in the elbow grease needed to fully enjoy the friendly company we've been planning to invite over all winter, but didn't because of, well...a bit of interior chaos, maybe?  I stand accused.  Yet, I can no longer ignore the dust and clutter, so I'm on a real simple mission to get rid of the chaos.  Here are some nifty tips right off of the pages...  

The soap scum on my shower doors isn't pretty.

1.  Try sprinkling a few drops of water unto a fabric-softener sheet and then scrub.

How can I get my white sinks to sparkle?

1. Fill the rim with hot water and add one cup of bleach or hydrogen peroxide to sit for 1 hour.  

2.  Drain and rinse.

3.  Scrub with baking soda.

4.  Rinse sink and shine with glass cleaner.

I have a large collection of magazines, but I'm not ready to toss them just yet.

1. Find a medium-sized wicker basket to place on a bookshelf and only fit in those favorites.  The rest can go (yes, you can do it).

I'd like to keep my bars of soap slime-free.

1. Cover a small dish with smooth stones and set soap on top to avoid water puddles.

Time to get to work!

-Jessica

No comments: