Monday, January 19, 2009

Sweet Determination

La Patisserie, one of our newest "sweet" designs.

Determination is the process of establishing something exactly, a fixed purpose or intention.

Last Thursday as I sat in the children’s section of my local library, I was beautifully reminded of how sweet determination can actually be. As I sat there reading to my three and half year old daughter Paige, I took note of an intrigued toddler standing a few tables away. As she curiously observed the two of us, I scanned the area for a parent and noticed an elderly woman sitting on a bench. She may have been her grandmother, because she kept watch at a distance, and when she interacted with the child, I soon discovered that this tranquil woman did not speak English.

I continued to read to Paige, and the other toddler approached us. I sang a nursery rhyme, and she then began to join me in crooning every word on tempo. After we finished the book, the little girl passed her book choice to me as if it were her turn to move on the chess table.  I read it aloud and soon Paige got up to select another title, which allowed the girl to move in on my daughter's seat and pass me the next book to read.  When Paige returned to the table and realized that her spot had been taken, she decided to make a 100 yard football run from the children's area to the opposite end, where she landed in the adult magazine section. As Paige ran, I fast walked, trying to catch her as she giggled and steadily kept three feet between us. Once I finally caught up, I realized that our library time had ended. Paige was done, and I left wanting to read more (our usual ending).

As Paige and I headed for the exit, I wondered, what was that little voracious reader's name? I wish I had had a bookmark to give her.

I found myself saying a little prayer for her. May she continue to navigate the obstacles of her life to experience the life she desires. May the spirit of determination and resourcefulness never leave her.

I'm convinced that she had experienced the library the way she had purposed to that day. I was pleased to be a part. I didn't catch her name, but her sweet spirit and determination to read sure inspired me.

Darlene

No comments: