Monday, February 2, 2009

Meet Annalisa Jose

© 2009 Panda Designs


California artist Annalisa Jose fell under the spell of fabric and color almost 10 years ago. In our desire to promote up-and-coming artists and designers who inspire, Panda Designs recently asked Miss Jose to talk about her new line of charming handbags.

1. Your designs are cleverly handcrafted and seem to infuse an imaginative, California influence, yet you weren't actually born here.

I'm originally from Brooklyn, New York.  I moved to the Bay Area in 1992.  The sunny and mild weather that California offers us year round is one of the main reasons why I love the Bay Area. I enjoy taking mild hikes at Villa Montalvo in Saratoga, or just noticing the sun when I walk to my local coffee shop.  My inspiration to design also comes from the blooming roses in San Jose’s Rose Garden, a visit to Beverly’s Craft & Fabric Store, or even Fabrix in San Francisco.

2. We notice these cheerful heart designs on your bags...kind of your signature.  Tell us about that.

Several years ago, I felt inspired to make pillows with heart appliques for Valentine's Day. I wanted to be original, and the phrase, Love Pillow, popped in my head one day and it stuck. The heart design also represents the passion and joy I feel when I play with fabric.

© 2009 Panda Designs


3. So many of the materials you use are distinctly refined, not to mention your own polished handiwork. What are you using?

I use a variety of fabrics: cotton, linen, polyester, and silk. I add different types of embellishments (trim, paint, buttons) to create fun and excitement in the design.   I also like changing the texture of the fabric either through pleating or "bubbling."   I usually add a sealant to protect the artwork.

4. Who do you cite as an inspiration?

Diane Ericson, an artist/designer who spoke at a PenWAG meeting in the spring of 2008. Her principles on design inspire me to listen to my intuition and to enjoy the process of creating.

5. What would you say to those interested in purse-making?

Find a simple purse pattern and make one for yourself. I recommend playing, experimenting and making adjustments to the pattern. Pick up a copy of Threads, Quilting Arts or Belle Armoire, there are usually good articles on purse-making.


Thank you, Annalisa, for sharing your passion.  We wish you all the best!

No comments: